Skip to: Navigation | Content | Sidebar | Footer

What do I need to get motorcycle insurance?

Applying for insurance can be done with a sales representative over the phone, in person, or through the insurance company’s website. To complete the application, you’ll need supply your motorcycle’s vehicle identification number (VIN) number, which you can find stamped onto the neck frame, and your driver’s license number. Be sure to pick the insurance coverage that meets your state’s minimum requirements and suits your needs.

Insurance providers require a motorcycle driver to legally be able to operate a motorcycle, and they must have either a motorcycle license, a motorcycle permit, or an auto driver’s license containing a motorcycle endorsement. Motorcycle licenses are issued to riders who only drive motorcycles, while an endorsement is added to an existing license that authorizes a driver to operate a motor vehicle and a motorcycle. A driver must be a minimum of 18 years old to obtain either a license or an endorsement. A permit, or learner license, is issued to a driver who is a minimum of 15 years old (in most states). If the driver is younger than 16 years old, they are limited to 250 cubic centimeter piston displacement. After the driver turns 16 years of age, he or she can then earn a learner’s license.

The requirements for obtaining a license or permit differ from state to state. For example, in California, a rider must be at least 16 years old, have had a permit for six months, and provide proof of driver education completion and a completion certificate from a motorcycle training course. Check with your state’s motor vehicle department to see your area’s requirements.