When it comes to buying any kind of insurance, it’s crucial to shop around to find the best policy and price that works for you. Motorcycle insurance is no exception, and there are several avenues you can take to find an insurer:
- Auto insurers. Currently, motorcycle insurance is widely available through the nation’s top auto insurers, the Insurance Information Institute recently noted. It can be offered either as a stand-alone policy, or as an endorsement to an automobile policy you already have.
- Your current insurer. Chances are, you already have insurance, whether it’s for a car, home, boat, or business. Inquire about adding motorcycle insurance to it. You might even be able to add it at a discounted rate, given your current customer status.
- Motorcycle club. One of the perks of becoming a member of a motorcycle club, such as the American Motorcyclist Association or Harley Owners Group, is getting offered discounts from motorcycle insurance companies. And while you’re there, you can also ask fellow bikers for recommendations on the motorcycle insurers they use.
- Motorcycle dealer. The motorcycle company that sold you your bike may also have some leads on motorcycle insurers and good rates.
- Internet. Broaden your options by searching for motorcycle insurers on the Internet. This may come in handy for owners of classic and antique bikes especially, as it’s often more difficult to find coverage that’s appropriate and affordable, given the unique and expensive nature of these bikes.
- Word of mouth. Don’t forget the value in simply asking around. Have friends who ride bikes? See what insurance they have and if they’re happy with it.
Again, don’t go with the first option that comes your way. Shop around and get quotes from multiple motorcycle insurers so you can find the policy that gives you what you need, at a price you like.