Skip to: Navigation | Content | Sidebar | Footer

Motorcycle Insurance in Montana

A motorcycle endorsement is required to operate motorcycles, motor scooters, and three-wheeled motorcycles in the state of Montana. A written test and driving test are required. The licensing fee is 50 cents per year. You must be at least 16 years old to get an endorsement, or at least 15 years old and have passed a state-approved driver’s education course. A motorcycle endorsement also requires a valid Montana Driver License.

Motorcycle License Requirements

  • Montana Driver License
  • Knowledge and skills tests
  • Licensing fee (50 cents per year)

A basic rider course is not required, but the Department of Motor Vehicles will waive the state skills test with proof of basic rider course completion.

Insurance Requirements

Montana requires a minimum motor vehicle liability policy with $25,000 coverage for bodily injury to or death of one person in one accident, $50,000 coverage for bodily injury to or death of two or more persons in one accident, and $10,000 coverage for destruction of property of others in one accident. Poof of financial responsibility is required when operating a vehicle at all times. Alternatives to a motor vehicle liability policy issued by an state-approved insurer include the following options:

  • Bond as proof of responsibility — A surety or real estate bond from a state-approved surety company.
  • Certificate of deposit of money or securities — A certificate from the state treasurer as proof of a $55,000 cash deposit or securities of a market value of $55,000.
  • Certificate of self-insurance — This is an agreement to pay the same amounts from the same judgments that an insurer would have paid had it issued a vehicle liability policy to the self-insured. Any person with more than 25 registered motor vehicles to his/her name is qualified to self-insure by obtaining a certificate issued by the state department.

Insurance Rates

Factors that determine the cost of automotive insurance premiums in the state of Montana include area of residence, type of vehicle, frequency of use, the type of coverage, driving record, claims history, credit history, and age. Misrepresentation of these factors by a driver to their insurance agency could also lead to higher premiums. The insured’s premium is affected by the driving record for the past three year.

State Laws

The following are the motorcycle laws for the state of Montana. However, laws vary between states, and a driver must follow the law of the state the driver is in. Failure to follow state law may result in tickets, higher motorcycle insurance premiums, and/or license suspension or revocation:

  • A safety helmet is required by law for drivers under the age of 18; eye protection is not required.
  • Daytime use of a headlight is required by state law. A mirror is required, and a muffler is required. Turn signals are not required.
  • A passenger seat and a passenger foot rest are required if carrying a passenger.
  • Sound level restrictions are based on a measurement at 50 feet from the closest point to the motorcycle. A vehicle manufactured before 1970 may not exceed 92 dBA, after 1979 but prior to 1973 may not exceed 88 dBA, after 1972 but after 1975 may not exceed 86 dBA, manufactured after 1974 but prior to 1978 may not exceed 80 dBA, and manufactured after 1987 may not exceed 70 dBA.
  • Motorcycles may operate two abreast in the same lane.